WHY NUCLEAR POWER
WORLD ENERGY NEEDS AND NUCLEAR POWER
– The world will need greatly increased energy supply in the next 20 years, especially cleanly-generated electricity.
– Electricity demand is increasing twice as fast as overall energy use and is likely to rise by more than two-thirds 2011 to 2035. In 2012, 42% of primary energy used was converted into electricity.
– Nuclear power provides about 11% of the world’s electricity, and 21% of electricity in OECD countries.
– Nuclear power is the most environmentally benign way of producing electricity on a large scale.
– Primary energy and electricity outlook
– Nuclear Power in published scenarios
– Generation options
– Implications of Electric Vehicles
– Drivers for increased nuclear capacity
– In practice, is a rapid expansion of nuclear power capacity possible?
– Clean Air and Greenhouse Gases
– Use of Natural Resources
Protecting the Environment
Nuclear energy provides more than 56 percent of America’s carbon-free electricity.
Kyoto Protocol Fast Facts and Timeline
(CNN)Here’s a look at the Kyoto Protocol,an agreement reached in Kyoto, Japan, in 1997, mandating that industrialized nations cut their greenhouse gas emissions. cnn.com